Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Welcome to Neural Dispatch.

Straight from my brain to yours.

###



I like writing.

I have for a long time now, even if I go for long stretches where I do not exercise this desire. I like stories, and characters, and cool little moments and scenes. I like cheesy sci-fi. I like lightsabers and robots and starships and the endless maw of the space beyond space.

In 2018, my biggest goal might be to complete a novel in November, as part of the annual NaNoWriMo event. This is a daunting, terrifying task. I truly do not believe I am capable of this, at the present time.

So, I'll need some practice.

Neural Dispatch is going to be the little space online where I try to quell my insecurities long enough to publish bits of flash fiction here and there, and hopefully a serialized tale as well (I'm not sure what to call it yet, but it's about a genius 9-year-old girl leading a band of intergalactic warriors on missions to save the universe until they are suddenly joined by a very average clueless dude). I used to write a lot of fiction, believe it or not. This will be my own speculative short-fiction spot where I hope to get back into the habit.

Especially if I expect to sharpen my skills enough to feel confident in tackling a full-length novel!

I think, by now, I have a knack for realistic expectations. It is very possible that I will chicken out altogether and post nothing here, or maybe a couple things and then stop, or the stuff will suck and never get any better, which would just be so awkward yet so beautiful. I expect this whole project to be a wonderful exercise in vulnerability. Mm!

But, hey, it's what I want to do. No fancy graphics, no big press release, no massive collaboration. Not even a dime spent on a new domain. Just me, a keyboard, and a surplus of ideas that are going to eat their way out my skull if I don't let them out through my fingers instead.

If someone out there gets a kick out of the stories in here, I will be delighted. You can even follow a dedicated Twitter feed, @NeuralDispatch, if you are so inclined. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about lasers and black holes and big explosions and whether or not you can ever possibly be sure your mind hasn't already been taken over by an alien entity capable of manipulating your perception.

Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Riftguard Saga, Chapter 3: The Loud and the Quiet

Jeffrey stumbled and had to put a hand on the floor to steady himself. Jo stopped, ahead of him in the corridor, and waited. "Guess I...